Monday, November 3, 2008

The Price of Beauty...

In the past two weeks I have come to a realization regarding my beautiful daughter's hair.

White people think it's gorgeous...
"Ahhh!!! Look at her beautiful hair!"
"Ooohh...she's so cute!"

I had decided I was doing a pretty good job of handling the somewhat difficult curls.

Pat myself on the back and convince myself I had this all figured out.

Then I ran into some of my black friends....

GULP.

"Uhhh....Cyndie...are you serious?"

"You've got to be kidding me..."

Oh, and then there was the all-telling "uuuuhhhhh" that I've now heard twice this week.

GULP...GULP.

And so I gave it my best shot and still struggled with mastering my daughters locks without making her look like a clown.

My neighbor had finally seen enough and yesterday she showed up with brush in hand and determination to train me.


Lord have mercy.

Have you ever seen an African American woman comb an African American child's hair?

All the sympathy I'd been having as my daughter would scream her head off just went right out the window!

There apparently ain't no mercy when it comes to taming these locks!!

An hour later, after screaming like we've never seen before, Elle emerged with beautiful hair and no tangles.



And I'm supposed to have time to do this daily?
Hmm...praise God the other two are boys! :)

2 comments:

Carisa said...

That is awesome!!! I remember going through that when we had two girls live with us for just a few months. They were biracial also but had hair very unlike mine and I could never do anything with it, thankfully they were older though. I still was such a failure at doing their hair *right*


And yes I do believe you are supposed to go through that daily, or at least every few days when the hair starts looking fuzzy again!

But I also think Elle looks fabulous with fuzzy hair-but I am white too so what do I know!!!

:) Carisa

Rebecca said...

What a beautiful makeover! Elle - you look fabulous. Curly-girlz are BEST! Your favorite aunt misses you. Maybe by Christmas you can share some tips with me. :)