Monday, September 8, 2008

The Noble Steed...

Have you ever thought about it?

If Jesus came to earth today, what kind of car would He drive?

Would it be an SUV? Maybe a really nice Lincoln Navigator with leather seats and an electric starter? (Yup, that’s for you Mom)!

Naaa… probably not…Maybe it would be a very basic, run of the mill pickup truck suitable for helping out neighbors in need.

Or, quite possibly it would be a beautiful 1973 Fire Red Mustang with white racing stripes down the hood (Yup, that one’s for my studly hubbie)!

Who knows…I suppose He could drive anything He wants…after all, He is in fact God.

Nope, I don’t know what He would drive if He had the choice, but I can say what He was driving last night!

It was a tow truck…a great big white tow truck ya’all…and oh was I ever happy to see Him!

You see, a few months ago, my studly hubbie was leading a soccer clinic for a bunch of kids (cuz that’s just what studly hubbies do). Anyway, said ‘studly hubbie’ thought it would be cool to rev the kids up with some tunes, so he pulled our minivan right up to the field and opened all the doors and blasted the music.

Long story short…ever since that day, our battery has been bad.

So, last night as youth group ended, I walked out to the car with 3 very tired little kids and found that the battery was dead.

Of course, my studly hubbie came to the rescue and used his 1973 Mustang to jump start my Minivan (I know…it just doesn’t seem fair does it)?!

Of course, because this is my life, you know it can’t just end there.

You see, earlier in the day I noticed that my gas light was on. However, because I’m a mom on a mission, I was too busy at the time to stop and fill up.

I reasoned to myself that I would stop and get gas on the way to youth group that night.

Of course, on the way to youth group that night I was ridiculously late (because that’s my new life with three kids) so I didn’t have time to stop for gas. In essence, I prayed myself into the church parking lot and then reasoned that I would stop at the first gas station on the way home.

Soooooooo; here I am, my minivan was just jump-started and I am almost out of gas.

Therefore, I get a mile up the road and stop at the first gas station.

Can you figure it out yet?

Some crazy person made up some rule that you need to turn your engine off to pump gas!

I mean, COME ON PEOPLE! With a rule like that, what are busy moms in bad battery minivans to do?!

And so, wouldn’t you know it…8 minutes later I found myself stuck AGAIN (this time at the gas station with 3 VERY unhappy little kiddos in the back).

Once again I picked up my phone and called my “studly hubbie” to come and rescue me with his steed…well, mustang…still, WAY cooler than a minivan.

Only, this time the beloved mustang didn’t do the trick. It didn’t even budge.

Elle began screaming in the backseat as the boys started whining that they were hhhhoooooottttt.

What can I say…it’s only 90 degrees outside with humidity of a million….WELCOME TO THE SOUTH!

With the noble steed letting us down, we finally caved in and called for a tow truck.

At this point we realized that Donn’s ‘way too cool mustang’ was certainly not going to fit a family of five after the tow truck arrived; so my studly hubbie headed on his way to pick up our other car to give us a ride home.

It was at this point that I sat behind my steering wheel and had a little chat with God:

“Lord…you knew this was going to happen. I’m trusting you. I really didn’t want to spend our money this way. Don’t get me wrong; every gal loves a nice tow truck…but this just isn’t the best time for repairs. Lord, help me to trust you…after-all, it’s your money.”

And then the tow truck arrived. However, just my luck; the guy in the tow truck pulls right into the parking lot and directly past me as he runs into the gas station store.

What are the chances?! Here I am waiting for a tow truck and here comes a tow truck but it isn’t even mine…this is my life.

A few minutes later the nice man emerges from the store and walks over to my car.

“I see you’re in a bind.” He says as he points to my open hood.

“Yup…bit of a bind.” I say, with kids bellowing in the back seat. “I’ve called a tow truck but apparently you’re not mine.”

“No” he replies. “But I can try my jumper cables if you want.”

“Well, at this point, I’d do anything to get out of here, so take your best shot.”

And with that, the nice brown haired man whips his jumper cables out of his truck and within seconds my minivan is purring again.

What’dya know…

As I drove home, all I could do was thank God.

Afterall, it truly is God’s money.

He really can spend it however He likes.

However, I must admit, I am thrilled He chose not to spend it on a needless tow.

Instead He decided to drive his tow truck right to my aid and rescue me inTRUE Noble Steed fashion.

So much for the cool mustang!

1 comment:

Luke Holzmann said...

Very cool! Thanks for sharing.

~Luke