Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Taking my eyes off of myself...

I got an email from a friend the other day that just broke my heart. She is a dear friend of mine that I have known for years. The email described some of the really tough trials and decisions that she and her family have had to make over the last few months. I sat with my jaw dropped to the floor and one verse immediately came to my mind:

“Don’t think only about your own affairs, but be interested in others too, and what they are doing.” Phillipians 2:4

I was mortified…ashamed…completely slapped upside the head by God. How had I let all of this time go by without being in touch with my oldest friend in this world? Come to think of it, I even vaguely remember her voice on my machine a few months ago….did I ever even return that call?!

Life gets busy…I know all of the excuses: Kids, jobs, houses, spelling words, carpools, meals, new jobs, grocery lists, dentist appointments, church and on and on and on. It’s a reality of life but it’s just not acceptable to me and I don’t believe that based on Phillipians 2:4, it is acceptable to God either.

I am a firm believer in relationships. Relationships take time and energy. Relationships take effort and encouragement. Relationships take relating!

So, what did I do? I got in touch with my friend and apologized profusely for being such a slack friend and for letting go of my end of the relationship. Of course, being that we’ve been friends for years, we sat and talked for an hour about life and all of its ups and downs.

As I hung up the phone I couldn’t help but thank the Lord. Thank you Lord that I have friends in this world that love me even when I’ve messed up. Thank you that I am forgiven by them and that our relationships have stood the test of time. Thank you for good old friends.

1 comment:

Jami said...

Amen to that!!

And thanks for brand new friends too! :)