Monday, January 4, 2010

A New Start...

Ayden began his first day at his new school today. I must admit, it was quite the experience. The "packing" alone seemed to take forever! If I hadn't known differently I would have sworn the little kid was going for a weeklong vacation. His backpack was HUGE! The days of packing a little snack and pencils are over.

Today we grabbed his backpack and crammed in boots, gloves, a hat, snowpants, extra sneakers and then we tried to fit a few school supplies in;).

He was a little nervous to meet new people but the minute he walked in the principal introduced him to about 5 other kids who are in his class. Ayden immediately gravitated toward another little boy and the two of them walked off together as I stood there praying for my little boy.

He's embarking upon something that I can honestly say I never experienced. Short of going to kindergarten, I never was the "new kid" at school. He asked me a ton of questions on the drive to school...things like, "Are there bullies at his new school" and "What do they do if they have indoor recess." It was clear that his mind was fixated on this day and I kept silently praying that God would give him courage. I was so proud when he turned to me and said, "Bye Mom."

This road of transition is FAR from over for our family but I am thankful for the little steps that we took today.

1 comment:

Charissa said...

I've been the new kid a number of times (3 in grade school, not counting kindergarten)...and Ayden is way cooler than I ever was! I am sure he will have friends in no time! Miss you.