Friday, May 1, 2009

It all started with a card....

It all started with a Mother's Day card. I was at the store a few weeks ago shopping for the perfect Mother's Day card for my Mom.

I rummaged through them all - "This one's dumb." "That one is weird." "This one is HOW MUCH???"

Then I picked one up that seemed absoultely beautiful on the outside. Gorgeous ribbons, perfect colors...a beautiful phrase on the outside that said, "I am so grateful to have had a Mom like you."

On the inside it said, "You were always the Mom who would run around the backyard and dance in the moonlight with me."

Hmmm....

I know it seems pretty dumb but it really made me stop and think. Would my kids be in a store one day and see that card and think, "This is perfect for our Mom!"

Not so much. Not now at least.

The fact is, as the kids have multiplied in our home, I feel like I've gotten worse about living in the moment with them.

I typically begin playing with them and make it about 5 minutes before I think of 4,003 things that need to be done. Then I guilt myself into thinking that they need to get done NOW!

I've been thinking a lot about that lately.

Honestly, when I am on my deathbed one day, what will I be remembering?

Will I think about how proud I was of keeping the dish washer empty or will I be thinking of the time I ran through the woods catching fireflys with the boys?

Will I be relishing the memories of how clean that linen closet was or will I be soaking in the look of Elle's face as she ran across the room into my arms with her huge grin?

What will I really remember?

This is what I'm thinking about today.

Living in the moment...taking in every breath deeply and relishing the days.

3 comments:

amy said...

Thanks for this very important reminder! I, too, often get way too caught up in my to-do list and not so much on the things that are important...like playing board games with my oldest, jumping in the puddles with my boys, and the list goes on!

Anonymous said...

Amen and Amen - I've been thinking about this very much lately too my friend!!! Thanks for voicing!

Love you!!! Case

Angela said...

Thanks for the the reminder ... going to try living in the moment tomorrow.