Wednesday, October 21, 2009

A Better "Me"...

I had a conversation with a great friend this morning about how "good" (or bad) we are at parenting.

The conversation stemmed from our realization that our 2nd and 3rd children seemed to know so much less than our 1st children did at the same age.

For example, my first son knew letters and numbers by the time he was 2 and a half. I remember working with him to recognize words when he was just 2. He could readwords like Mommy, Daddy and Nana at a very young age.

In turn, by the time he entered pre-school he was writing his name on his own, knew numbers easily and knew all his shapes and colors.

Yup, I was on the ball...

Then I had my second child.

Well, as you can guess, my second (and third) children just don't have that kind of "training" yet. Why would they? I just haven't taken the time to "train" them in that way! Life has gotten busier and flash cards and cute little learning games just haven't been my priority.

And that breaks my heart.

After the conversation with my friend, it made me realize how much I wish I could go back to the way I was as a new mom.

I wish I had the passion, zest and fervor I used to have. I wish I could think of fun activities to do each day with my children.

I wish I wasn't always so consumed with school schedules, homework schedules, church activities and life in general.

I wish I could just take the time...Take the time to be with my kids.

Really BE with my kids.

Make cookies, pick up leaves in the backyard, play on the swingset...just BE.

And so, that is what I'm challenging myself with right now.

I refuse to "compare" myself with any other mothers...there's no good that can come from that.

I don't need to be "like" any other mothers...I just need to be the best I can be at being me.

So, today I'm working at being ME- A better "me" for my children.

What would make you a better YOU??

1 comment:

Julie said...

Cindy,
good goal...always. to be the best you can be. Always know this... More kids = More busy-ness - less ideal one-on-one concentrated time with each child. All Ayden had was you to himself when Dad was out...even as all you had was him at the time.>> Automatically broke down into more TIME with him! But now Ayden has Brekyn and Elle. (and one day..? >Prince) :-) And you will have all of them. Guess what happens! Guess!!! The older ones start teaching the younger ones. You WILL see. Mine did. It just occurs naturally because they are all together, and they ask each other about letters and words and "what-ya reading?" and "what ya doing?" One day Elle will be forming letters on a little chalkboard or spelling a word with foam letters on the bathtub wall and you will gasp and say..Elle! where did you learn that???? And she will tell you.. from her brother. :-) (hopefully it is an acceptable word!!) ha ha...
It happens. Watch and wait. :-) **From an older mom that knows.**
Have a GREAT day! Don't ever beat yourself up. You Are A Great Mom, and I know...simply because you WANT to be one. Blessings in your Busy-ness.