Friday, October 24, 2008

Therapy...

Well, I think it's official. My children will definitely need counseling.

You see, desperate times call for desperate measures, and after a year and a half of fighting this potty battle with Brekyn, I was absolutely desperate for success.

You've already heard about the great time I spent on the bathroom floor back on Tuesday.

Once that adventure was over, I then had to convince my stubborn little guy that the toilet really is a fun place to sit!

I moved the potty into the family room and plopped it down in front of the TV and asked Brekyn what movie he wanted to watch.

"You can watch any movie you want Brekyn...the only catch is that you have to sit on the potty the entire movie."

To most kids that would have been good enough incentive, but not to my little Brekyn.

Nope, apparently in his little world, sitting on the potty just isn't worth a movie.

As I struggled to convince Brekyn that he did in fact want to sit on this exciting plastic pee-pee device, he began crying his head off...

"No mommy! I don't want to!"

And then Super Ayden swept in.

Ayden began rubbing Brekyn's back and telling him how exciting it is to use the potty.

That's when I got the idea!

"Hey Brekyn!! How about if Ayden sits right next to you while you sit on the potty?!"

Ayden immediately jumps in and says, "Sure Brek...I'll sit by you!"

To which Brekyn responds...

"Will you take your pants off too?"

Ayden's eyes got huge as he looked at me as if to say, "MOM - WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?"

What?

I thought it was a brilliant idea!

Like I said....DESPERATE TIMES YA'LL!!

Ayden and I finally reached an agreement when I said that he could keep his boxers on.

Hey, think what you may about me... all I know is that Brekyn's been in dry undies for three days now!!

WOO-HOO!!!

Way to sacrifice for the team, Ayden!! Mommy loves you!

5 comments:

Charissa said...

My great-grandma potty trained my dad. She was a German woman and very strong willed! She sat my dad down on the training potty seat and would yell/order "S***" and make my dad sit there until he did! I think you did a much better job, much more loving!

Annie Beth said...

That's funny stuff. The things our older kids have to do for their siblings.

Anonymous said...

Hey Cyndie, guess where our potty seat is sitting in our house, right in the middle of the living room in front of the TV, and it has been there for 3 weeks ever since I started potty training Gavin, I tried slipping it into the bathroom the other day since he is getting good with the potty but he said "Hey where'd potty go?", and went and moved it back in front of the TV Hey whatever works right, people do wonder when they come to visit though :) Good luck with the potty!

Hannah

Jeane` said...

Dear Cyndi..
Your dear friend, Hannah, recommended your blog to me, and am I glad she did! You are refreshingly real and just plain funny! Thank you for being one of those rare women who chose to write about life as it is, not misleading anyone to think you are superwoman (of which there is no such thing!). I especially liked your Miss America post. I do have a crystal tiara from my wedding collecting dust in my closet. It has occured to me that perhaps I should cast it upon my head while vacuuming, hoping that it glamorizes the task. But with no adoring audience and no "There She Is..." playing in the background, it just doesn't hold the same allure. Of course, I'd have three sets of beady eyes watching, wondering what kind of "nut" that God had given them for a mother. (Well, I'm sure they still wonder that).
Anyhoo, thank you for the laughs. I'll stop back for sure! In the meantime, feel free to visit my little 'cottage' on the internet!

Warmly,
jeane`

Luke Holzmann said...

I was in therapy for a few years. It was a blast! So, I never worry if other people's children will need it too. [smile]

~Luke