Monday, December 15, 2008

Welcome Home Sweet Girl

This was actually written last night...I just didn't get to posting it:)


Today was a day to remember.

It was one year ago today that our precious little Elle came home to us. We celebrated her first birthday this past weekend and we looked with great enthusiasm toward this special day.

A year ago it was rainy and cold, but it didn't matter what the weather was like outside.

In my heart I felt the same joy and awe I had felt on the days when I first gave birth to my sons.
Our daughter was finally home and we were blessed.

And yet; this year was different.

Unlike last year; today we didn't spend the day on the couch cuddling our precious new gift.

Instead, we spent the day in the courtroom.

You see, today we sat with nervous hearts and sweaty hands waiting and wondering what the Lord would do.

A few months ago we found out that Elle's birthfather might choose to fight to get Elle back.

Needless to say, our hearts were anxious as we waited and prayed - unknowing if he would choose to show up at court to contest the adoption.

And yet, through it all we always felt God's peace.

I got very little sleep last night and I finally decided to crawl out of bed to put my thoughts onto paper. Here is what I wrote:


"My precious daughter,

On the eve of one of the most crucial nights of my life, I sit here with pen in hand and think of you.

Though Satan is trying to shake me and my stomach is growing weak, I think of a few things and I realize the Truth.

The Truth is that I know too much.

Here’s what I know:

I know that one year ago my world was forever changed when I held you in my arms and called you my daughter.

I know that when I look into your eyes I see a little girl who calls me Mama.

I know that we may not have the same hair or the same skin, but we share the same heart.

I know that God worked miracles to bring you into this world and many more miracles to bring you into our family.

I know that when you laugh, you calm my fears.

I know that when you cry, I calm your tears.

I know that it is I who has taught you many things.

I know that you have taught me many more.

I know that you were never unwanted, unloved, unplanned or uncared for.

I know that in your eyes I see the future.

I see your first steps, first school day, first prom and first boyfriend.

I see your first dorm room, first breakup; graduation and wedding day.

My stomach is still twisted and my heart is heavy but I know one thing.

I know that God Himself gave you to me.

God made you my daughter when He created this world and you will never be anything but that.
I love you my sweet little Elle.

That I know.

Love,
Your Mommy"



And so, today I share our joy with you.

It's the same joy we shared a year ago on this very exact day.

Today our baby girl came home to us!

Her name is Elle and she is our daughter!!

Sure, she's been my daughter all along, but today the judge has also agreed and no one has chosen to contest it!

Welcome Home Sweet Little Girl!

We're so glad you're here and we're praising the God who brought you to us!