Wednesday, April 15, 2009

My email...

My heart is heavy today. There's just no other way to say it.

I just received an email from one of our Liberian friends. I love receiving emails from the friends we made while in Liberia. Though the trip ended one month ago, our hearts continue to be bonded with those whom we met on this life changing experience.

I look forward to our weekly emails that typically come from those whom we were closest to while in Liberia. When I see the messages in my inbox my heart literally pounds as I quickly click to see how our "family" is doing.

Today's message was hard for me.

It spoke of the love that our friend feels for Donn and I and of how much he prays for our family. It spoke of the ways that we changed this young man's life and how He praises God that we were ever able to meet. It spoke of how he hated that he couldn't write us last week but he didn't have enough money to get to the internet cafe (a total of about $1.50 American money).

It then spoke of the reality of life in Liberia. It spoke of how scarce the food is and how they are praying for God to meet their need for today. Our friend then went on to say that, although he had hoped to enroll in college in the Fall, he had turned that dream over the Lord and would trust that if God wanted him in college, God would provide the way.

Never once has our friend asked us for anything the entire time we have known him...he has asked for nothing but prayer.

And so, I sit here...at my computer that I have at my immediate disposal after having run to Kohls this morning to buy Elle some summer clothes. I just opened up my cupboard and whipped up a healthy lunch for the kids and topped it off with some Easter candy for a treat. The TV is squaking in the background even though no one is watching it and the lights in my house are all on (despite the fact that it's the middle of the afternoon). The biggest issues that I've had to face today are what to make for dinner and whether or not Elle really needed all three dresses that I bought her....

Uggh...

When will we understand?

When will we understand what it is like for our Liberian brothers and sisters?

When will we catch a glimpse of the faith that they have when they can look starvation in the eye and say that they trust God to provide.

My heart is heavy. These are not just people over on the other side of the world anymore...they are my family. They are a world away and yet as close as my heart.

3 comments:

Luke Holzmann said...

I don't think we can understand until we've lived it. But may we have the persistence to pray for our brothers and sisters around the world, and the wisdom to know what else we should do.

There is so much need. Good thing we serve a great God!

~Luke

Anonymous said...

When will we learn that kind of faith?

R.M. Jackson said...

When? When there is nothing else we can do but....

I live in Jamaica, W.I... I know of what I speak. ;)