Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Introductions...

In light of our little "announcement" regarding our sweet Liberian Prince, I thought I would take this time to introduce you to another of our amazing Liberian friends, Elijah.

Elijah is the Dean of Students at the orphanage where Prince lived until he was just recently moved into foster care.

I met Elijah my very first day on campus when I was desperately seeking a translator. You see, in Liberia everyone speaks English. You would think that would be easy enough but don't let it fool you. We have come to recognized that there is a difference between Liberian English and American English. Liberian English is in fact English but it is spoken with such a strong tribal dialect that at times it can feel like a truly foreign language.

My first day on campus I was attempting to communicate with the kids regarding their likes/dislikes etc (for our medical histories) and I was running into major roadblocks. Elijah saw my confusion and came swooping in to rescue me. He was able to understand both me and the kids so he spent the entire 5 days sitting right beside me and translating every word.

By the end of the week he was one of the people that we had the hardest time saying goodbye to. He is an outstanding man who loves the Lord passionately. He dreams of being a Civil Engineer but cannot afford to go to school. Unfortunately, since we've been home he has suffered both malaria as well as the loss of his father in a fire.

Elijah dreams of one day coming to America to visit, and Donn and I are certain that one day the Lord will make that dream a reality. In the meantime, we are so blessed to speak with Elijah about once a week when he walks to his pastor's house to borrow his phone to call us.

When I was on the phone with Elijah this past Sunday he asked me if I could do one thing.

"Of course I'll do something for you Elijah - what would you like done?"

"I'd like to see my picture on your website Sister Cyndie" He said.

And so I am honored to introduce you to one of our dearest friends from thousands of miles away.
Elijah is wearing one of our youth group t-shirts that we recently sent to him and he is holding our family photo! How sweet!!

If you feel led, please pray for Elijah as he serves God with full passion and fervor.

We love you Elijah!!

4 comments:

wedogmomma said...

Hi Elijah!
Our God is So gracious to knit us together with family from near and far!
May God be your strength and your help as you serve Him with your WHOLE life!
Blessings from California, USA
Nikki W.

Julie said...

Just catching up...
I knew I would hear about this "Prince announcement"...Seemed inevitable from your first blog about him. :-)
I will be saying prayers for God to work it out for this little boy to get here quickly to live and love and bond with his God appointed and anointed family. Bless your heart! You have been on a roller coaster indeed. Yay!

Kathleen said...

I love the name Elijah!! It means "the Lord is my God"!!! It is so nice to meet you Elijah and I will be praying for you all the way from the small state of Vermont. I am so glad we share the same passion for the Lord and keep all of His promises close to your heart!!

Philippians 4:19

Great photo and I will be praying for your health and for an opportunity for you to go to school!!

Angela said...

Oh my goodness, Cyndie. I was just catching up on your blog and read your big news! That's so exciting! I will be praying for you guys.

What a lifesaver Elijah was for us! We never could have communicated with the children without him. And a sweet man he is as well. I'm glad you introduced him to everyone else.