Monday, May 5, 2008

Let's Just Move On...

This is the conversation that I heard in the backseat last night as we drove home from Youth Group.

Ayden: “Hey Brekyn, do you know what Jesus did for you?”

Brekyn: “Nope.”

Ayden: “He died on a cross and came back to life….did you know that?”

Brekyn: “Nope.”

Ayden: “And, did you know that right when He died it got all dark outside and the big curtain in the church fell?”

Brekyn: “Nope.”

Ayden (obviously, feeling very good about his biblical knowledge at this point): “Yup, it just tore right in half and fell down!”

(AND THEN THE MILLION DOLLAR QUESTION...)

Brekyn: “Why?”

Ayden: “Because Jesus died on the cross and the curtain ripped”

Brekyn: (slightly agitated) “Whhyy?”

Ayden: “Because when He died the curtain fell down and I guess it tore when it fell.”

Brekyn: (increasingly agitated) “But, WHHHYYYY?”

Ayden: (In a loud voice) “Brekyn, don’t you get it? Jesus died... it got dark outside and the curtain tore!!”

Brekyn: (in a very loud voice) “BUT WHY?”

Ayden: (at the top of his lungs) “BREKYN, LET’S JUST MOVE ON!”


Mommy’s interjection: Notice I didn’t interrupt this little discussion.

First off, I was too curious about how the conversation would end (and I was very impressed that my 6 year old knew anything about the curtain in the temple)!

Secondly, I myself couldn’t come up with a very effective way of describing why the temple curtain was torn in half to my two year old.

Luckily, Ayden came up with a great line that I will commit to memory and likely use in many future conversations…

I can just see it now:

Brekyn: "Mommy, what are the birds and bees?"


Mommy: “Brekyn, let’s just move on…” :)

1 comment:

lifelaughterchaos said...

cute story. I'm impressed...at least he knows what Christ did for us. Sometimes I really wonder about the spirituality of my kiddos. It wouldn't really shock me to hear Dakota say, "Jesus, who's Jesus?" ;)