Monday, August 25, 2008

Trust...

There was once a man whom many of us may have admired.

He had a wonderful wife, 4 precious daughters and wealth that surpassed anything I could personally dream of.

Life seemed to be good to him. I imagine that many of us may have secretly figured that life was easy for him.

But then it happened. ..

Tragically, in the blink of an eye, a massive fire of devastating proportions consumed his business and left him financially ruined. I imagine that if you or I had known him at this point in his life we would have rallied around him. Tears would have been shed, meals would have been brought to the house, family would have come to his aid.

If we were optimistic, we may have reminded ourselves that God is sovereign and He will carry our friend and his family through this trial. We would have thanked the Lord that his family had remained uninjured.

But then it happened…

Again, in the blink of an eye, his four precious daughters were killed in a horrible collision. Before he knew it, his life was turned completely upside down as he received word from his wife that she alone had survived the devastating wreck.

I try to put myself in this man’s shoes. What would my reaction be? What words would I cry out to the Lord with? Would I curse His Name for the hardship that had plagued me or would I cuddle up in His arms and beg for His tender fingers to wipe my tears aside?

I pray I would do the latter…I pray.

I write this today because I am in the midst of trying to discern the Lord’s will for my life. No, I’ve not experienced tragedy such as these devastations. I simply have decisions to be made.

As a family in ministry, money is always tight. We’re used to that lifestyle. For years the Lord has taken care of us and provided us with all of our needs and then some. He continues to do that each and every day.

However, recently, with the shift in the economy our family has met its budgeting max. We are forced to make some tough decisions and to explore the reality that the Lord may have it in His will for me to go back to work.

It’s very hard for me. My primary job will always be as my children’s mommy. I want to be the best mommy I can be and I want to watch my kids grow. I can’t stand the thought that I may miss a special moment or not be the primary caregiver in their lives. This morning as I was praying for the Lord’s wisdom and guidance in this area, I felt like he asked me:

“Cyndie, are you willing to do anything I ask of you?”

“Yes, Lord, of course I am.”

“But, Cyndie, will you trust me?”

GULP.

And then I remembered the words from an old hymn:

“When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot, Thou has taught me to say,
It is well, it is well, with my soul.”

Do I trust Him enough to say;

no matter what trials arise in life,

no matter what financial hardships occur,

no matter what devastation I may witness;

it is well with my soul?

The writer of this great hymn trusted God enough to lose every bit of his financial security in the Great Chicago Fire of 1871 and then to lose his 4 daughters when their ship collided with another ship in the Atlantic ocean.

He then turned to the Lord and praised Him saying,

Lord, I trust you with my life. I trust your decisions and I trust that you have chosen this path for me. ..

“It is well with my soul.”

Lord, may we remember that You are sovereign and You love us more than we can begin to imagine.

I pray that I will have the faith to trust that You have more planned for me than I can begin to plan for myself.

I trust You with my life.

I trust You with my family.

I trust You with it all…

It is well with my soul.

3 comments:

Jami said...

Cyndie - thanks for sharing. I will be praying that God provides wisdom and peace for whatever decision you guys make!

Anonymous said...

My heart breaks for so many mommies like you. God will lead you to a wonderful solution, I just know. Our situation since Hope has left us struggling in so many ways. I'm sorry to say I didn't handle and trust fully many times, but he came through for us each time. I know he does the "eye roll" with us so many times. But still loves me soo!! Love you girl, have coffee soon. Shelby

Susan said...

Hi Cyndie,

So nice to meet you! Your blog is precious.

What a great post. I like the way you used this awesome testimony to share your story.

I know God will give you the grace you need for the days ahead!

Blessings♥