Monday, June 8, 2009

Any Ideas??

Okay, so I'm doing my best to be a "good mom" (whatever that means) and to plan lots of fun activities for my kiddos for this summer. Every year we sit down together and make up a list of "Summer Fun" with the kids. Because of my type A personality, putting our aspirations onto a list makes me feel like it's crucial that we actually follow through with them (pathetic, I know).

So, as of now, our list is filled with some local "attractions" that we plan on making excursions to; but I am also trying to come up with some creative FREE things that would be fun. You know; things like having a picnic by the old train stop where every few minutes the kids can see a train go by.

This is where you come in. I need some help!

What ideas do you have? What FREE/DIRT CHEAP ideas are you planning for this summer of "RECESSION FUN!"

Anyone??? Anyone??? Bueller??

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

our free summer events aren't anything huge but the kids love it, 1) being backyard fun - we fill up the kid pool, fill water balloons, and get out squirt guns for the hot days. 2) My kids also both love going to a local farm by us that has a dairy we buy our milk at, they also have lots of animals you can visit, calves, kittens, peacocks, turkeys, cows, and dogs. I'm not sure if you have one like that around you but it is worth looking for, my kids love it!! 3) my kids love parks so we usually pick a different park/playground each week to go play at and pack a picnic lunch. HAVE A GREAT SUMMER! Hannah

Luke Holzmann said...

Many of our local attractions offer free days every month or two. The zoo, nature and science museum, art museum, and even some music events are all available for free.

Granted, sometimes they are "free" and not worth it--like, if there are very few animals the day the zoo is free--but it's worth a shot at least.

~Luke

Kathleen said...

We have a library summer program that is fun and we are also going to Vacation Bible School. My kids love to go to the park to have lunch and play and I hope that we can get to our two state beaches that are close by to swim. The cost is low and you can buy an ice cream treat for a buck! I am also going to make trips to the famous "dollar store" for coloring books and pool toys. While I am there, I will also stock up on glow sticks for backyard camping. I love having fun with my kids and I hope you have a great summer with your gang!