Friday, June 26, 2009

Question Number 2

So, here we go again...

Randomly chosen - Question Number 2 from our "Enquiring Minds Want To Know" Series.

Question 2 comes to us from Annette who asked, "How do you do Elle's hair?"

Well, Annette...let me just say -- it's been a journey!

When we were first blessed with our little adopted Elle, I used to just let her hair do it's thing. As it grew, she had a little q-tip type hair-do and I would just throw a bow in it as we left the house.

For months upon months I noticed something....my white friends would always comment on how adorable Elle's hair was. My black friends??? Well, they tended to stay VERY quiet.

That is; until one fateful day.

On that fateful Sunday afternoon I heard a knock at my door where my wonderful black neighbor stood with a comb in her hand and a misson on her mind.

"Step aside Cyndie...it's time you learn how to do Elle's hair."

GULP.

Well, I'll admit - it wasn't a pretty sight. Weeping and gnashing of teeth ensued as little Elle received her first hairdo by a black woman. I remember my neighbor repeatedly saying, "Elle, you're going to have to get used to this...it's a way of life now."

And so, there you have it...No, I've not begun braiding Elle's hair yet. I'm not that talented yet and quite honestly I love the little Mickey Mouse Poofs that she wears most days. We'll get to the braids but for now we're just counting our blessings that we've figured out how to effectively comb it!

The entire process requires LOTS of detangling spray and a comb on a daily basis. We have been advised not to wash her hair more than once or twice a week and beyond that we just need to schedule an extra 15 minutes a day to get the snarls out and pull it up again.

We're far from experts but it's working for us right now. Oh, and by the way....I now get complements from both my black and white friends! :)

Reminder! Tonight at midnight is the deadline for asking me a question and being entered into the drawing for the "Hope's Wish" book! Bring 'em on!! They've been amazing so far and I can't wait to answer all of them!

3 comments:

R.M. Jackson said...

She looks adorable... I don't think she cares if you learn to braid right now or not, she looks like she's having a ball. :)

I have similar hair (only much longer), and I never realised my mom wasn't good at styling until I was in high school(What is it about high school?) I had 2 big plaits for much of my childhood, and was perfectly happy with them. :D

Sorry, no childhood pics.... and, at 36, I am very grateful for that. ;)

Be blessed,
Ruth

Mama Jenn said...

What a cutie! Her hair looks great too! If you are looking for some great products made for multi-ethnic hair, I would try CURLS. I/we use it and love it. If you go to my blog, I have had a few giveaways for their products and hope to have another one in the near future.

CheleLew said...

From on adoptive mom to another, Bless Your Heart!!! My Caleb had the most beautiful hair a boy could have when he was just a baby. Even making sure he was in blue didn't stop people from thinking he was a girl. Oh well. Then his hair changed. Now we are happy when it gets it buzzed down as there isn't any comb involved. Thank you for sharing the beautiful story of how our gracious Lord brought Elle to your family.
Chele @ homeschoolblogger.com/chelelew