Wednesday, June 24, 2009

"Enquiring Minds Want To Know" - Question #1

So here we have it…in response to your questions, I will do my best to give you honest and complete answers. Truthfully, I am SO excited to answer all of these questions that I’ve had a rough time deciding what to answer first! Finally I just decided to randomly pick one and go with it. Here we go:

Question Number 1: Charissa asked, “What top 3 things do you do to draw closer to God on a daily/weekly basis?

Let me start by saying UGGH!!!

Who the heck picked this question?

Seriously, wouldn’t you all rather know what my favorite food is or maybe my favorite restaurant?? :)

Okay, just kidding…. Here's the scoop.

One thing that I do that draws me closer to God is in the form of a prayer. I’m not talking a “go find a kneeling alter and spend 4 hours with the Lord” kinda prayer. Those are great times too, but a bit hard to find in the midst of my rambunctious kiddos. I’m talking about a prayer that I first learned from a good friend who has since gone home to be with Jesus.

Years ago I was talking with this friend and she mentioned that every day she wakes up and prays, “Lord, let me do today ONLY what You want me to do. Don’t let me get caught up in MY schedule, MY way or My plan…let it always be about you.”

The very next morning I adopted that prayer into my life. Every morning before my feet even touch the floor, I pray that the Lord will direct that day. I pray that He allows me to surrender my plans so that I may serve Him better. I know that when I surrender my days to Him, they always go much better (even though they may look NOTHING like what I originally had in mind).

The trick is to remember the prayer that you prayed when your ‘list’ gets thrown out the window for a friend who’s in need or a husband who needs help finishing up a project for work. :)

Secondly - there’s just no doubt about it - I need my “coffee time” with God. I really struggle with this. There are some days I just don’t want to stop and be with God. There are many days when I would MUCH rather read blogs, check out craigslist or take a nap with my kids.
Many days I feel the pull of, “man, if I don’t get those bills paid right now, I won't be able to focus on my devotions anyway!” Some days I cave into those things; but it never fails that I notice myself slipping when I choose other things above God. During the times when I've let God slip for days on end, I'm sure the rest of the world can tell also!
I guess that's why I call it my "coffee time". I NEED coffee every day - just like I need God. Let's just be grateful it's coffee that I'm addicted to and not LSD...I don't know if God would appreciate me calling my intimate time with Him, "LSD time". (Okay...focus Cyndie...focus) :)

I’ve also realized one very important fact about myself when it comes to devos. I need to have something to study. Many people are fine with just picking up the Bible and reading verses, but I don’t do well with that. I need something structured to walk me through my devotion time. Currently I am re-doing the “Purpose Driven Life” and loving it even more than the first time I did it years ago. Basically, find what works for you and go with it…the key is that you take the time to do it and that you actually do get into God’s Word and meditate on it (by this I don’t mean fall asleep – that’s another topic I could write from experience on)!

The last thing that helps me focus on God is turning on Christian music. Now, I’m the first to admit that I love many types of music. My all-time favorite band is Dave Matthews, so I’m not someone who thinks you should ONLY listen to Christian music; however, there is no doubt that sometimes your heart just NEEDS it! I find that when I have Christian music on, my spirit just settles. This typically becomes CRITICAL for me right around 5pm when it seems like all ‘you know what’ breaks loose in my home! :)

Love the questions Charissa!!

Keep em comin’ everyone!! You have till Friday at midnight to be entered into the drawing! See this post if you have no idea what I'm talking about!

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

That was great Cyndie...not only your suggestions - I love that prayer before your feet even hit the floor!! - but your question idea. Do I have until THIS Friday - I thought I was too late..I can come up with some great questions!! :) Love "pickin' someone's brain!!"