Thursday, July 10, 2008

And the award goes to....

And the award for ‘Mother of the Year’ goes to…

Okay; those are a few words I will NEVER hear spoken on my behalf!:)

So, time travel with me, if you will, to yesterday morning.

I am dramatically running around the house pouting because my internet doesn’t work and I can’t get my morning news (what?? the news is on the tv too? Who woulda’ thunk!)

In between pouts of pure girly fashion, I catch Brekyn playing with a toy that we just purchased for Ayden to bring to a friend’s birthday. I grab the box out of Brekyn’s hand just before he tears it open and I immediately turn to Ayden and say, “Ayden, I told you to leave this on top of the fridge so Brekyn doesn’t get into it!”

Ayden looks at me and says, “Sorry Mom, I wanted to see how big it was so I could get wrapping paper for it.”

I then scold Brekyn for touching it and I take the boxed toy and place it back on top of the fridge where it belongs.

Fast forward a few hours through a few “Hallelujahs” and “Praise Gods” as the Internet Techy Guy restores my glorious internet service; and I walk into the kitchen to find Brekyn sitting on the floor with the ripped open toy box in his lap.

I grab the box from Brekyn’s hands and again scold him for touching it and then I walk over to Ayden and get in his face and forcefully say (okay, okay; scream) “I TOLD YOU NOT TO TAKE THIS TOY DOWN AGAIN! WHAT DO YOU HAVE TO SAY FOR YOURSELF?” (as I dramatically dangle the ripped up box in the air).

It is at this point that my sweet six year old boy bursts into tears and looks at me with a panicked face and says, “Mommy, I didn’t take it down. I really didn’t.”

“Well then Ayden! How did it get down? There is no way that Brekyn could have….”

WAIT A MINUTE…

It was at this point that my brain kicked into surreal slow-motion mode and I vaguely remembered those few minutes when I was trying to waste time as the internet techy man worked on the computer.

As if I was standing on the outside looking in, I saw myself reach up to the top of the fridge and pull down the toy box while reaching for something that was behind it on the fridge.

My eyes got huge as I looked at my precious boy who had now sunk to the kitchen floor with absolute rejection and was sitting cross-legged sobbing.

“Ayden, I’m so sorry! Mommy is SO sorry!” I blurted out as I began hugging and kissing him.

“Mommy took the box down from the fridge and I am so sorry I yelled at you! I am so so sorry! Will you forgive me?”

To which my sweet Ayden casually replied, “Sure Mom, I forgive you.”

And once again; my children have taught me the valuable lesson of thinking before reacting.

MAN, when do you think I’ll actually ‘get’ this lesson…it seems like I’ve had it a lot lately!

4 comments:

Carisa said...

I have a story almost exactly like that!!!! Thankfully my son is forgiving too.
:) Carisa

Luke Holzmann said...

I am so glad that I'm not the only imperfect person here! I definitely don't look forward to doing that kind of thing with my own kids, but I do hope they will be as forgiving when I do.

Thanks for the reminder. I think I needed to read that.

~Luke

Jami said...

Hey Cyndie - I love that story!! I think something was up yesterday because I had a very crazy day as did another friend and we all recorded them on our blogs!!

By the way - we offically went with the Florida agency for our adoption. We just felt so peaceful about that one.

Wish we lived closer! Love you!

Jami

Anonymous said...

Ayden may not know it now, but he has just been given a wonderful lesson in recognizing sin, accepting responsiblity for it and asking forgiveness.

And I believe that God honors that -- maybe with a jewel in your crown? So maybe, you DO get the award.... :)

MA