Wednesday, July 23, 2008

The Minivan Chronicles

So, what do you get when you mix three kids, an obviously insane mother, a smelly minivan, and endless highway miles?

Well; you get some very interesting conversations and quite a few sympathetic looks.

Hmm…where shall I begin?
-----------------------
Brekyn: “Mom, can I have more goldfish?”

Mom: “No Brekyn, you don’t need any more goldfish, we’re going to be eating lunch in a few minutes.

Brekyn: “Are we going home to eat lunch?”

Mom: “No Brekyn, we’re somewhere in Virginia right now; we’re not going all the way home for lunch today. We’ll stop at a restaurant.”

At which point I heard a dramatic gasp from the back seat as Ayden yelled out;

“Nooooooooooooooooooooo…..NOT A RESTAURANT! I wanted to go to McDonalds!”

Mom: “Ayden, McDonalds IS a restaurant.”

Ayden: “No it’s not Mom! McDonalds is a food shack!”

Well, Ayden; you might just be right for once in your life…

Of course, heading into the so-called, “Food Shack” also required stop number 4 million and 37 in the restroom. After waiting for 10 minutes for the handicap stall to open up (because have you ever tried squeezing 4 people into a normal stall?), I told the boys to face the wall and keep their hands by their sides.

Apparently one of my children (who shall remain nameless) decided to peek…

Not only did he decide to peek, but he also announced (in a rather loud voice),

“Hey Mom! You just had a bug land on your bum!”

To which I heard women snickering from every stall around.

Then again; it is the “Food Shack,” if there weren’t bugs in the bathroom it just might not feel the same.

And yet, despite all of those memorable moments; I would have to say the one that tops them all was when the sweet gray-haired gentleman stared at me as I lugged three children, a diaper bag and a purse from the gas station toward the minivan.

“Wow! Are those all yours?” (I assumed he was referring to my children)

“Yes, they are in fact mine.” :)

“My goodness…I’ve seen army men headed into combat carrying less stuff.”

Well, that makes sense….you see; I thought about joining the army but then I realized I was entirely too tough for them…that’s when I decided to be a mom instead.

Oh the joys of a roadtrip!

2 comments:

Valerie said...

Don't you just love *other people*? My favorite story is the guy who sat at a picnic table and watched as I broke down a campsite and stuffed everything into the back of our minivan with only a 6-year-old and a 2-year-old to help. After I was done, he called out, "Me and my wife was wondering how you were going to get all that stuff back into that van!" All I wanted to do was yell back, "You could've had a first hand look if you had offered to help, jerk!"

nanadar said...

Cyndie,
So glad to hear you made it safely to NY!!! I do believe "Minivan Chronicles" could be a great book title or a made for TV movie!! Oh mama mia (oh, that's been used!!)
Love, Mom T