Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Liberia Journal Day Eight

March 13, 2009 - Leaving Liberia

Another hard day.

We spent the morning at the Deaf Home (which is the sister home to the main orphanage where we spent most of the week). Although I loved seeing the kids and meeting them, I must admit that my heart just longed to be down the road with Prince.

I often wondered what kind of day he was having and what he was doing. I miss him so much already.

Although we don't know with certainty all that God is doing, I do know that I can picture Prince in our family. I can see him playing in the backyard with the boys and spending birthdays and Christmases with us. In my heart I just can't shake the feeling that he is my son.

Quite honestly, I never expected him to capture my heart. I came here with an open heart, but in all those times when I prayed for God to show us; I always thought that it would be a sister for Elle. Never in my wildest dreams did I expect Prince to be the one I couldn't stop thinking about. I fell asleep last night crying. This is so hard.

We got back to the guest house and the guys played futbol. It was so great to see the friendships that had formed in just a few days. Watching them laugh and run lifted my spirits.

We then had an amazing time of communion together with all of the local ACFI pastors.

Then the time came to say our goodbyes.

I can't describe to you the feelings we had as we hugged our brothers and sisters. I didn't want to let go.

Timothy (the taxi driver whom we had become very close to) was working for the Governor today (he also drove for the Governor!). He stopped by at one point to say his goodbyes. What a precious friend Timothy has become. He cried as we told him how much we love him.

Later in the day, Timothy called Johnson (another one of our cab drivers) and asked Johnson if he could swing by to pick up something that he had bought for Donn. Johnson showed up at the guesthouse with an entire African outfit that probably cost Timothy a half-months wages to purchase. God, thank you for blessing us with such amazing friends.

The goodbyes to Friday and Jordan were also incredibly difficult. We love these two men very deeply. God, please protect and provide for them. Let us see them again soon (addendum: Friday contracted malaria shortly after our visit...he is healing but please pray for his complete recovery).
I now sit on the plane home and my mind is a mess of jumbled thoughts...so many things to process...so much praying to do. I am thrilled to run into the arms of my children whom I have missed so much, but leaving this country has been much harder than I ever imagined.

Lord, thank you for this "honeymoon" to remember. It's so much different than what we thought our "honeymoon" would look like but much more amazing than we could have ever known.

God, make the answers definite and clear. Make the path walkable and bring us back to our Liberian family soon. Amen.
Donn and Pastor Kofi (the man who began ACFI)

The "International Match" (Liberians vs. Americans) (yes, the Liberians won)!

Donn in his African Outfit from TimothyWelcome home Mom, Dad and Eden!

1 comment:

Dawn L said...

Oh Cyndie and Donn, my heart is so broken as I read your last two entries. I have been so touched by your journal. Thank you for sharing your deepest fellings and prayers with us. I can only imagine how difficult this first week home must be. I love you and I am praying for you all.