Friday, March 20, 2009

Liberia Journal - Day Five

March 10, 2009
I worked doing medicals all day again today. It was a long day but a very good one.

The day started very interestingly as I went out to the front porch of the guesthome and found a woman, man and little girl standing there.

I introduced myself and began talking with the little girl who told me that she was 3 and her name is Julia (not actual name).

We laughed and spoke for a bit and then I said that I would have to excuse myself to leave for the orphanage.

The mother then leaned over and hugged me and asked me if I loved her daughter. I replied by saying that her daughter seems very sweet and she is an adorable little girl.

The mother then said, "If you love her, maybe you could give her a better life in America."

I truly didn't know if I had heard her correctly so I said, "excuse me?"

The mother then repeated herself.

In my American mentality my heart just dropped as I thought about how this mother could just say those words to someone she had just met; but then I thought more about the situation.

In all reality, it is clear that this mother loves her daughter very deeply (in conversations later in the week, the mother often had tears in her eyes as she talked about another child whom they had already had to give up for adoption).
The bottom line is that in Liberia, a good day is a day with food....a bad day...well, a bad day is beyond anything we can fathom in America. What mother wouldn't want the best for her child? Isn't that what Mothers are supposed to do...protect their children?

It broke my heart as it was real insight into the devestation of this war-torn country.

On top of all of that, I also met Prince today. Prince is a little 6 year old boy whom Donn met yesterday. Last night Donn told me that he'd really like me to meet Prince.

Today as I was doing medicals, I looked over to the line of waiting children and I saw a little boy there holding a sign that said "Prince" on it. Now; in Liberia, Prince is actually a very common name and I had already met at least 2 that day. However, somehow when I looked at this boy, I just knew in my heart that this was the Prince whom Donn had told me about.

I went to find Donn and asked him to come back with me to confirm that this was the Prince he had also met. When Donn came into the room, Prince's eyes lit up...it was very obvious to me that Donn and Prince already had a special connection. Something in my heart tells me that I will be getting to know little Prince quite well.

He is a quiet and shy little guy who literally weighs the same as my 3 year old, Brekyn (despite the fact that he's 6). He has a smile that makes my heart pound and his eyes are filled with love.

I can honestly say that I am SO confused about what God has for us. We came on this trip primarily because we felt called to the mission. However, we also came with hearts that are very open to the Lord's direction as far as our family is concerned.

Lord, we open our arms and hearts to you. We are uncertain of your will right now but we trust that you will lead, guide and answer.
Donn with Prince and another little girl from the orphanage

Cyndie and Donn with Peace, T-Girl, Prince and Winnie-Girl (this was basically our little posse...for the remainder of the week if we went anywhere...these kids were with us)!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This just tears at a mama's heart.
We really, really have no idea how blessed we are in this country. Even in this economy,... even with a "poverty-level" income, we don't know what it is to horrendously suffer. There is always someone or some organization that can offer helping hands. I would dare to say that very few Americans have felt the desperation and hopelessness for their kids that they would be compelled to give them up for a better life. Bless your love and the encouragement and hope that you gave to these people.