Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Liberia Journal - Day Two

3/7/09 (I didn't journal on 3/6 because we spent the entire day on the plane)

I'm on the brink of tears as I try to process all that I saw today.

I spent the first part of the day going to the office of the ministry that runs the orphanage (the office is in a different part of town than the orphanage). I was then able to get to the internet cafe for a few minutes where I got out a live update to all of the people who read my blog.

From here I headed off to a meeting with our trip leader who was meeting with other adoption agency leaders regarding the recent ban that has been placed on Liberian adoptions by the Liberian government.

I'll admit; at first I was a little bummed when I realized that this was what I would be doing for the day. More than anything I was just dying to get to the orphanage like the other team members, but then I reminded myself that God had orchestrated this day and there must be some reason why He wanted me to be a part of this meeting.

I sat through this meeting as Angel (the woman who lead our tour and is also the Director of Liberian adoptions through Christian Adoption Services) discussed with other Liberian leaders how they could be proactive in getting this adoption ban lifted. The meeting proved to be incredibly insightful as to the need of the orphans as well as the role that the government plays in adoptions. I left feeling very blessed to have been there and having a much better understanding of all that is happening in the Liberian government right now.

Surprisingly, after the meeting was over, we decided that we had enough time to drive out to the orphanage (about a 45 minute drive). I will never forget what I saw when I arrived.

As our little yellow taxi (which typically are old Toyota corollas from about 1990) pulled into the orphanage, children began flocking to the car. At one point at least 50 kids surrounded the car and we finally had to have people pull them away so that we could open the doors.

As I stepped out of the taxi, kids jumped in my arms. They grabbed my hands, they hugged my legs. They began screaming with joy, "Mama...Mama" (It is customary for a Liberian child to call a white woman Mama). It just broke my heart.

A few of the kids wrote me notes on pieces of old cardboard or scrap notebook paper. The notes simply said their names. When I asked why they gave me the notes they said, "Because we don't want you to forget us." Uggh.

I highly doubt I could ever forget them.

I met three girls in particular today that just captured my heart.

Winnie-girl is 14 years old and has a smile like an angel. She is soft spoken and a little shy. When I saw her face I recognized her immediately. I assume I saw her on the children's sponsorship website (http://www.africanchildsponsorship.com/). She literally takes my breath away with her smile. I have a feeling I will be getting to know her better.

Peace is 13 years old and met me the very moment I got out of the car. She spent the entire day hugging me and helping me understand the little kids (whose English has such as strong dialect that it can be hard to understand at times). Peace seems to just want to be loved. Donn has particularly fallen in love with her. She is incredibly active and seems to just bounce from place to place. I know I'll be getting to know her better.

Finally, there was T-girl. T-girl is 3 and captured my heart just because she walked up to me and asked me to hold her. From that moment on she was always with me. She has a smile that lights up a room and her hugs are just precious. Like my little Elle, T-girl has an umbilical hernia...although, unlike Elle's (which is just a mild protrusion) little T-girl's is literally about 4 inches long. It is so sad. In America this is something that would be treated with no thought...in Liberia treatment is not an option because of expenses. Oh how my heart is falling in love with T-girl....by the end of the day she had fallen asleep in my arms as the orphanage children were doing their daily devotions.

Today I also met Timothy. Timothy is not an orphan but is actually our Taxi driver. He is an amazing young man (21) who lost his father and grandfather during the war. He talked to us about his church, his family and his dreams of being the first in his family to go to college. He would like to be an Electrical Engineer. Timothy is quickly etching a place in my heart.

And so, I fall asleep tonight with a heavy heart. So many kids...so much poverty...so many thoughts swirling through my mind. I am anxious for tomorrow to see what God has in store.

The Orphanage Campus Donn and I with the kids (T-girl is on my lap)
A Liberian home (this one is actually quite a nice one because it has walls and a roof)Cyndie and T-girl
Winnie-girl is on the left
Peace is in the middle



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for letting us "be there with you" through your words and pictures. What a trip it must have been. I can tell already! Thanks for sharing it with us. Welcome Back!

Unknown said...

Well, as soon as I can get past my tears, I'll type something worth reading . . . God's love is immeasurable and so are your hearts for children. Thank you for sharing - what beautiful pictures! I will join you in prayer for all of these beautiful children and their futures. Jeremiah 29:11

Kathleen said...

Wow, I am so moved already and it is only day one. You must be doing some deep thinking and reflecting now that you are back and it is all sinking in. I am so touched by these children and their need for a "mama". It is just so REAL and the need is so great. I am praying for you and these sweet chilren.

Blessings,
Kathleen