Saturday, March 7, 2009

Welcome To Liberia!!

We're here and doing well!

We got here on Friday night at 11pm (Liberian time). It was an uneventful flight though definitely long. We're all doing well and feeling good today after a good night's sleep. We went 31 hours without sleep! This country is SO welcoming to Americans and we have been showered with love from our hosts!

Today I am part of a group that will be going around with Angel (our leader) who is having meetings regarding the adoption freeze etc. It's not at all what I thought I'd be doing when I woke up this morning but I know that every moment of my time here is planned out by God so I am excited to see why he has me doing this today.

Eden (the senior who lives with us) is spending the day mostly meeting kids from the orphanage. I got some great pics of her this morning with some kids. She's in all her glory as she holds these children!

Donn went to the orphanage this morning to assess some projects and then he is heading to the hardware store to purchase materials. They will start work on those things on Monday.

Tomorrow we are going to a church service and then the kids of the orphanage are having a welcome performance for us.. I can't wait. I have not been to the orphanage yet and I am so excited to finally get there.

We just purchased an hour of internet time for $2 so I'm trying to email and blog as much as I can during this time. I don't know how often I'll be able to email. Certainly not every day...the internet cafe is not that close to where we are staying so it won't be much.

Our guest house is very nice compared to the surroundings. We take showers using water from a bucket so it's not what we're used to but of course it's fine. They made us an amazing dinner and breakfast and are taking such good care of us.

I have also had some neat conversations with our cab driver (Timothy). He lost both his grandfather and father during the "war" and he's 21. Pray for him. He is quickly etching a place into my heart.

The war is so evident here. Destruction is everywhere you look although we also see signs of improvement as new buidings are going up and roads are being repaired. The UN monitors heavily still and you pass huge Tank like machines sitting on the side of the road with UN soldiers in them. It's a different site for me to see.

One of the neatest parts of Liberia so far has been hearing the people talk about the Lord. Despite how little they have, they truly seem to love the Lord. We met a 19 year old guy this morning that sings for the Lord (as he said). I told him that he might be the next great thing and he said that would be fine but only if it was done for God. :)

The homes are mostly dirt floor huts with no electricity. I have taken many pictures already but I'm not sure if I'll be able to upload them...I'll try in a bit though.

I miss the kids terribly and just hug every kid I see. I know our kids are in great hands and I don't worry about them but I certainly do miss them. I am so blessed. I have shown many people pictures of my little angels back home. Every time I see a child I think of how blessed I am to be a mom of 3 amazing kids.

Donn and I were actually given a room together at the guest home (which we weren't expecting) so that was a pleasant surprise:)! Seeing as though this is our "honeymoon" they figured they'd put us in the same room they said:)!

We miss you all but are feeling overwhelmed with God's goodness. What a blessing that He's brought us here! I have a feeling we will be back again someday...who knows.

Love you all!

1 comment:

Lindsey said...

Cyndie and Donn, You sound amazing and so full of love and grace for your experience. I am so happy you were able to post some information and feel great knowing you are all safe and embracing the upcoming week. You both are certainly perfect for this and can't wait to hear what God does for you.

We love and pray for you both,
Lindsey