Monday, March 23, 2009

Liberia Journal - Day Six

March 11, 2009
Today is "Decoration Day" in Liberia. Decoration Day is much like Memorial Day in America except that it is basically a day to remember anyone who has died and was special in your life. Unlike America, where people can go visit a gravesite any day; in Liberia, visiting the graves any day other than Decoration Day is illegal. Therefore, on Decoration Day, the town shuts down and the people all go to fix up their loved one's graves and remember their lives.

Despite the holiday, we obviously had a lot of work to do so we continued on doing medicals for the children.

Surprisingly, Julia's mom (Julia is the girl I met yesterday on the front porch of our guest home) showed up at the orphanage just so that Julia could hang out with me. It caught me a bit off guard because in order to get to the orphanage they would have had to spend money on cab fare for each one hour drive. I was shocked to see her walk up to me with her beautiful little smile.

Julia stayed with me for the remainder of the day. She is a precious little girl who is very outgoing and loving.

Little Prince also found us within minutes of arriving at the orphanage and he stayed with either Donn or myself the entire day. What a little Prince he is - he is truly capturing my heart!

After working at the orphanage, we decided to walk to the ocean. The ocean is only about 2 blocks away from the guest home, but we hadn't had the time yet to go see it.

While we were walking there a little boy saw us from a distance and began sprinting toward Donn. I would guess that the boy was about 2 years old. He was running full force (with only a shirt on - no underwear) and he just ran into Donn and wrapped his arms around Donn's legs. It was the sweetest little thing I've ever seen. The boy was just happy to see a white person. The high regard that Liberian's have for Americans is truly astounding. They are such a sweet culture.
Later this evening, Donn and I went out back and sat with Jordan, Friday, Keema, Lorpa and Orita (our friends who work at the guest house). Donn and Friday played the djembe and we all sat around and sang worship songs under the stars. It was truly an amazing night of brothers and sisters fellowshipping as one. It solidified the love I have in my heart for these people.

Cyndie and the guesthouse girls
Donn and the sweet little boy on the street

Donn, Cyndie and Eden


Decoration Day (the graves in Liberia are raised tombs)

No comments: