Wednesday, June 4, 2008

The day that never ended...

Ahh…finally some peace and quiet!:)

I listened to the sweet songs of the birds chirping as the sun set its last sweet glow in the distance.

It had been a hard, long day that began with an ipod in the washing machine and seemed to carry that theme through the next 12 hours.

I sat exhausted in my big yellow Adirondack chair on the back patio and thought…"Lord; thank you for bed. Thank you that you knew how much we would all need sleep." Sure, it rejuvenates us; but sometimes I think the Lord created sleep just so we would be able to put closure on days like this one.

I stood up from my chair and walked in the back door just in time to hear screaming come from upstairs where my boys were supposed to be sleeping like angels. As is customary, I listened for a moment to see if the screaming would magically end on its own (like that ever happens) and then I realized something….

...this wasn’t just angry screaming…this was something bad…this was someone hurt.

As I went tearing through the house, I got to the bottom of the stairs just in time to see Ayden standing at the top with a face full of blood that was dripping down his body. My reaction of huge eyes and “Woahhhhhh….Donn come here!” was certainly not comforting to Ayden and only made the screaming worse. (Way to go Cyn – I never did have a very good poker face)!

Through the sobs I heard the words; “Slipped, Bunk-bed railing and teeth”

Sure enough, I looked in his mouth to find his two front teeth pointing backwards.

And so; to make a long story short; the day that began with an ipod in the washing machine will now also be remembered as the day that ended in the ER dentist’s office getting two teeth pushed back into their proper positioning while we now wait for them to inevitably fall out on their own.

Ahhhh….does it get any better than this? :)

I would have gone and consoled myself with some Kenny G but we all know that is no longer an option in my less-than-high-tech world.

Funny thing is…I wouldn’t trade it for anything.

I once read somewhere that we don’t remember days…we remember moments.

I probably won’t be able to tell you what June 3, 2008 was like in a few years; but I certainly will remember the day that my ipod got a good washing and my big boy showed me how brave he is.

Of course; Praise God for sleep…man, was I ready for bed!

2 comments:

Charissa said...

Wow, what a day! Hopefully the next few days will be quite a bit calmer! Give Ayden a hug for me.

lifelaughterchaos said...

uuhg that stinks! the bunk bed thing is NOT what I wanted to hear.... i will putting mine into them someday soon.