Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Handpicked...

There are so many things I will never know.

I can’t tell her about her mother’s talents.

I didn’t carry her in my womb for 9 months.

I’ll never know the way her father laughs or understand her mother’s passions.

There are so many things I’ll never know…and yet;

I know that I am blessed.

James 1: 27
“Pure and lasting religion in the sight of God our Father means that we must care for orphans and widows in their troubles, and refuse to let the world corrupt us.” (NLT)

I wonder how many times we skim over verses like these in the Bible. Let’s face it; they’re tough verses to read. These verses call us to action. They require sacrifice on our parts. They require time. Sometimes they require a ridiculous amount of faith.

I cringe to think of all of the times when I’ve carelessly read verses like these and taken the “somebody else” attitude. Somebody else will care for the widows. Somebody else is better equipped. Somebody else has a bigger heart and can love the orphans. Somebody else is the one that God is calling.

And yet, He didn’t put stipulations on this verse. It doesn’t say, ‘if you have a big home, God is calling you to care for orphans.’ Or ‘If you can cook a really good meal, God wants you to invite the widow to dinner.’ It simply says, “Pure and lasting religion…means that we MUST care for orphans and widows…”

As God’s beloved, He has given us the opportunity to be His hands and feet. He doesn’t need us, but He allows us the blessing of serving Him in this way. And, according to James, it’s not an ‘option,’ it’s a mandate. We “MUST” care for orphans and widows if we call ourselves believers.

Is God calling you to take a leap to serve Him in this way? Is it a special note to a lonely wife who has lost her best friend? Is it a donation of clothing to an underprivileged orphanage? Is it a shoulder to comfort a hurting brother? Could it even be a child that needs a home?

However ‘big or small’ the action, the fact remains; God didn’t give us a choice to care for these hurting brothers and sisters. He gave us a command to show them love.

When it comes to ‘our story’ there is nothing superhuman that we did. We simply realized God’ calling on our life and, in one of the greatest leaps of faith we have ever taken, we chose to answer that call.

For the rest of my life there are many things that I will never know about my little girl’s past, but I do know that she has been my daughter since before time. I know that she was handpicked by God to be my little Elle and I was handpicked by God to be her Mommy.

What is God handpicking you to do?

Click HERE for a complete testimony of our adoption journey of faith.

2 comments:

Valerie said...

It's like the speakers kept saying at She Speaks, God has given you a unique story, unique experiences, and unique words in which to share. There is no one else who can say or write or do the things that you can. Knowing that all I have to do is be available and willing and let God work takes a whole lot of pressure off me.

lifelaughterchaos said...

Hey....I'm dying to know an update about what we talked about on the phone! I can't find your email address.