Monday, June 23, 2008

It's Official...

Well, it’s official. For many years I have suspected it; but after this past weekend at SHE SPEAKS, I have officially declared it true. I learned many amazing things this past weekend (which I will continue to share with you as time goes on) but one of the biggest things I learned this weekend is that I am just not nearly as cool as I would like to pretend I am!

Rewind to Friday morning as I’m driving to the hotel for this life-changing conference that is a dream come true for me. Obviously, being that I am such a laid-back and easy going girl, I had just thrown some old rags in my bag and headed out the door without a second thought…Okay, not exactly true – let’s try that again.

Being that I am such a dork and really wanted to look like someone who had her act together despite the fact that every shirt I own has permanent snot stains on the shoulder; I had labored over the past few weeks to pick out just the right clothes. After 14 trips to the mall and 6 million fashion shows for my husband, I had finally found the right outfits. For the first time in almost 7 years, I had on clean clothes and the cutest shoes you have ever seen! Woo-hoo! I was well on my way to actually looking like I had my act together!

As I headed to the conference on Friday morning, I threw on some lipliner in the car and glanced in the rearview mirror (of course, not to keep an eye on the traffic, but rather to check out my beautiful pink lips).

“Hmm.. that’s odd. ..I wonder why my lipliner looks a little strange?”

“Oh well, no time for messin’ around. There are lessons to be learned...there are publishers to meet!”

I threw on my lipstick and headed down the highway.

The day went amazingly. Wonderful new friends, incredible times with God, so much information that I thought I might burst, and some great chances to meet amazing publishers. I was feeling very blessed as I laid my head on my pillow that night.

The next morning as I woke up and began putting on my makeup for day two of the “pretend like you actually look this good every day saga”, I became stumped.

“Where is the world is my eyeliner?” I rummaged through my bags and pulled out everything from my makeup case.

“Where is it?”

Immediately, my thoughts turned to my 3 year old whom we all know has a knack for “borrowing” things.

AND THEN IT HIT ME.

“No, oh no! Please, NO! You have got to be kidding me!”

The color drained from my face as I ran to my purse. With my heart pounding I reached in and pulled out my 'lipliner' and all I could do was shake my head and laugh at myself.

And so, there you have it….now it’s official.

You can dress me up and you can give me cute shoes, but when it comes down to it, you just can’t take the dork out of me. It’s engrained….It’s clearly a part of my DNA. And no matter how many publishers meetings I sit through or how many hundreds of “truly cool” ladies I meet, I will always be the one who ends up walking around for 24 hours putting eyeliner on her lips!

Hmm…I wonder if those publishers will ever call?

Maybe they’ll be intrigued by the totally dorky lady who clearly must be confident as all get-out to dare walk into a publishers meeting with the world’s darkest lips ever!

Oh, I am just SO cool!

Please now ladies, don't be jealous...maybe someday you'll be as "cool" as me too! :)

7 comments:

Meg Lambert said...

I got a good laugh from your post. You always could make me laugh! I miss you! I love reading your blog. You and your family are always in my thoughts and prayers. Oh....could Elle be any cuter?!

Mrs.Naz@BecomingMe said...

How funny. I am so glad to have found your blog. For a moment I thought you were going to say that you put crayon on your lips, so eyeliner...well at least it is in the face department.

lifelaughterchaos said...

That's the best! Once I wore 2 different shoes to work! Did you read Lysa's post the other day about her 1st meeting with publishers? Look where she is now...so this will be a funny story to tell someday.

I know what you mean about the outfits. I shopped for probably 100 hours for my 15 year reunion...I worked so painstakingly hard at looking perfect, yet pretending I just through it together at the last minute lol.

I'm so excited to hear about your weekend. I thought of you guys all weekend!

Jami said...

Do you have any pictures of you with those gorgeous dark lips?!!! :)

I'm going to have to disagree with you Cyndie - You are COOL...real cool! :) It was wonderful to meet you in "real" life!

Marybeth Whalen said...

While I can't say I have personally done this-- I will tell you that Lysa T has put RED lipliner on her eyes as eyeliner while driving to a speaking engagement... so, there you have it. You are in good company! Sorry we didn't get to talk at She Speaks-- next year??

Anonymous said...

Great story!! but hey where is the picture of you with that eye liner on your lips LOL! Thanks for all of your great post. I really enjoy reading them. Hannah

Anonymous said...

Hey Cyndie,

VERY cute story and one you'll enjoy in future writing/speaking opportunities-we DO need our "stories", huh?

I tried to find an email addy for you; I'm working on a writing opportunity to email SheSpeaks girls about, and if you'd like to hear about it, be sure to reply to my comment w/your eddress :).

Thanks!

~ Robin
penieve(dot)love(at)gmail(dot)com