Tuesday, June 17, 2008

I Used To Think...

I never would have said it out loud, but deep down I used to think that Donn and I were pretty good parents.

One stern look at our oldest son and he would snap right back into shape. When he did something wrong it never seemed to happen more than once. I had even gone to the great length of teaching him some sign language so that I could flash the sign for “no” while we were out in public and he would immediately obey. Yup, I thought I had this parenting thing all figured out…apparently God saw it fit to humble me…

And then we had Brekyn.

Now, don’t get me wrong. I love my sweet Brekyn with all my heart. He has a sense of humor that is incredible. One day I fully expect to see him somewhere using that humor (hopefully to God’s glory)! He is also one of the greatest cuddlebugs I have ever known and his smile makes every day brighter…

However, there’s another side to Brekyn. Brekyn really “tests” me. He is strong willed and defiant. He seems to find trouble around every corner and I find myself begging God for wisdom on a regular basis as I try to parent this wonderful little boy with blonde hair, blue eyes and dimples.

Let me just see if I can recall some of the “antics” of the past few days: Hmm…

Well, I think we all know about the ipod (enough said)…

How about the marker that he confiscated and tucked away under his pillow so that at bedtime he could pull it out and draw all over the bedding and his arm… (imagine the planning ahead that went into this one)!

Oh yes, and then there was the time that he left the house while I was upstairs putting Elle down for a nap….Yup…I found him in the neighbors living room! (sidenote: we are now installing locks at the top of the doors).

Hmm…TUMS…let’s just say that he likes TUMS and I have to hide them to keep him from “helping himself.”

And these are just a few of the incidents from the past week!

Just this morning as I was with Ayden, I heard some clammering in the kitchen cupboards and I went out to find Brekyn covered in green food coloring. Now, before you go scrolling to the bottom of the page to see a picture, I will burst your bubble. I decided that I couldn’t encourage this behavior by indulging Brekyn with a photo shoot, so I resisted the temptation (though it would have been a picture for the books!)

After proper disciplining (and quite a bit of time sitting in his bed) I finally got Brekyn some breakfast and asked him why he got into the food coloring.

“I was looking for the TUMS” He said. (well, there’s a shock! Hey, at least he’s honest!)

“Brekyn, don’t you remember the verse that says, Children obey your parents?” I said.

“Honey, when you make bad choices it makes Mommy and Daddy sad and it makes Jesus very sad.”

“I know” he said…. “Children obey your parents….I’m supposed to obey.”

However, as I looked at Brekyn, I had to wonder if any of it was actually sinking in.

Luckily, my camera was sitting right next to me and this time I decided to go ahead and snap a picture. Someday (when Brekyn is all grown up and has turned out alright) it will make me smile I’m sure.
Oh Lord, thank you for humbling me. Give me wisdom and help me to parent my children well and to train them up in your ways! Help me to know that they are taking our discipline to heart….even if it is behind a pig nose! Amen.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Cyndie ... if I had only known you were battling green food coloring this morning. What is your favorite Starbucks? I'll bring it over for therapy purposes. You are a wonderful Mom, trying your best and we all trust that God will help us all in this crazy adventure called parenting (oh, and lets all get locks at the top of our doors!). Love Jennie

nanadar said...

Birdlover1Cyndie,
Because I know Brekyn is not checking this blog, I'll remind you that his dad, when only 2 or 3 helped me find out how to remove wax from a bathroom floor -- by emptying the "blue" water out all over it!! (and yes, good thing he wasn't thirsty!!) So when was it you prayed for patience????? Children often times ARE a challenge, but keep loving after the discipline and just think, perhaps he'll turn out to be like your stud muffin love of a husband!! Love, Mom T

lifelaughterchaos said...

just to make you feel better...my neighbor came walking in my house a few nights ago holding christian! she found him in the middle of the street. i thought he was upstairs!

I don't know how mischevious he really is or it it is more about mom being clueless;)